The G5A features the following:
- Natural-looking synthetic fibers imported from Germany
- The hair on the G5A is very similar to that of other big name high end synthetic knots. For reference, it’s most similar to the Omega EVO, and similar to the Simpsons Platium Grade synthetic.
- This knot has been packed with SHD density to make it the denest possible knot for it’s size (20% more hair).
- Excellent backbone. This German hair uses a wavy style hair to clump the tips and gives it more backbone while still retaining that amazing synthetic softness. It’s a truly luxurious experience with this knot.
- Very soft tips (approx. very soft to above average softness compared to other synthetics)
- A common problem with the G4 knots you’ve seen on the market is that they tend to tangle in the center after use. This problem does not occur in the G5A hair!
-It retains water in a more efficient manner than traditional synthetics.
NOTE: These knots contain and inherently shorter height (approx. 65mm) compared to other synthetics (70mm). Keep this in mind when setting the knot, you'll need a slightly more shallow hole!
Base Diameter: 28mm (± 0.5 - 1mm)
I absolutely love this knot. I set it as high as I possibly could, as I like a taller knot, and it still has all the backbone I could want. For comparison, backbone is about the same as (or maybe a bit stiffer than) my 26mm Tuxedo, but without any of the springiness, and the tips are much softer and less prickly. The fibres never clump together in one lump, no matter how heavily I load, so this 28mm knot holds easily as much lather as my 30mm synthetics. It splays and paints with equal facility. Fantastic. If a 30mm version ever becomes available (with longer fibres to keep it in proportion) I'll be at the front of the queue to buy one, because I'm a greedy head shaver. My other brushes have all suddenly become redundant. Well done.
My preference is for taller knots, and I prefer a lot of splay. This knot didn't do that for me. Andrew notes that in the description, so I knew this may not work out for me. But I thought it looked and felt fantastic, so I will not give it less than 5 stars given what I wrote above. I traded it to a friend, and I believe he is very happy with it!
Bottom line: if you like splay, beware, as this knot would need to be set very shallow. I have the 26mm and love it, having set it very shallow!